Thursday, October 31, 2019

Marked by Greatness: Great Inspiration

My blog has been silent, but my days have not. They are full of routines and laughter, love and laundry, vigor and tears. Inspired by the droplets of joy in my days, here begins a series called "Marked by Greatness." Stay tuned for more.

She is ninety-five and has walked with God for more years than I have lived. I pay attention to her words in Sunday school.

She is usually in remarkable health, but one Saturday night a deep, loose cough wracked her body and kept her awake.

Regardless of her bad night, "Ruth" was in Sunday school the next morning, pleasant and participating.

"We need to pray for Ruth’s cough,” the teacher said. Then, turning to Ruth, she said, "Tell the class what you told me. Do you remember?”

She didn’t.

"Well, I asked how you slept. You told me that your cough kept you awake for a lot of the night. But then you said, 'The Lord knows what He is doing.'" 

Ruth brightened. "Oh yes, He does! I feel much better now and am able to be in class. I think God just wanted to clear my lungs so I could enjoy the service this morning."

Perhaps God had me, not Ruth's lungs, in mind. 

I am inspired to change, to filter life’s petty troubles through the words of a faith-filled saint: “The Lord knows what He is doing.”

1 comment: