Thursday, March 26, 2015

Whoopie Pie Heaven

I should have known.  From the moment the "Turn Sister's Day into a Whoopie Pie Day" idea was birthed, I should have known this would be no small operation.  It sounded innocent enough when it was introduced.  Four varieties were mentioned which seemed reasonable for three moms with seven preschoolers to tackle.

But then came Numbers.  It was when I was trying to decide if I should double or triple a batch that made 15 sandwiches that I heard Bigger Ideas.  Like, each freezer having a hundred sandwiches each.  

I should have known that the Chief Baker among us with a family of 9 wouldn't think of doubling a batch that makes 15 cookies.  She multiplied her pumpkin recipe by 7.  

In the end we had eight bowls of batter.  Big bowls. The smallest among them made four dozen sandwiches; the largest two were Tupperware's Fix n Mix bowls that easily made triple that.

Not surprisingly, we baked All. Day. Long.  Our list of four varieties had morphed into the following one:



Pumpkin
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip
Pumpkin baked in a waffle iron
Vanilla
Vanilla with blueberries
Vanilla with Chocolate Chips
Oatmeal Spice
Chocolate
Shoe-fly Pie (Ever hear of that one? Welcome to Lancaster County.)
Chocolate with mint frosting
Vanilla chocolate chip with mint frosting

All of us worked really, really hard all day.  

Hey, Somebody had to supervise the Baker/Photographer.
Plus, somebody needed to taste a few...
and needed coffee to go with it.  This is all legit stuff!
We ended up with Whoopie Pie Heaven for most of us, including the DNR guy who dropped in at an opportune moment.  (Would it take a Lancaster county DNR guy to recognize a Whoopie pie by name?  Maybe he's even familiar with Shoe-fly Pies.) 


But for the baby of the family, the table laden with Whoopie Pies was no heaven.  He wanted one of each flavor in his little one-year-old belly and, when his sampling was limited, he tearfully resorted to sneaking tray scrapings out of the trash.  Poor deprived child.

Our baking ended at suppertime with 503 Whoopie Pies in the final count. Our freezers are bulging happily (not to mention the humans), all thanks to the Chief Baker who does nothing small-scale in the kitchen.

That trait of hers was the reason that something within me panicked when she said, "For our next Sister's Day, let's make meat pies for the freezer.  I can make the dough."

Right.  Does anyone have a commercial freezer for sale?  I foresee myself needing one very soon.  

11 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a lot of whoopie pies. I have never heard of all those types of pies. I can't decide if I pity you or envy you.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were still baking at 5:00 on Whoopie Pie Day, I would have recommended the pity. However, now that we are 48 hours beyond the pain of the day, it is awfully nice to have a well-stocked freezer...

      Delete
  2. Fun, but whew, a lot of work, and HOW do you girls stay trim, pray tell? Oh yeah, you haven't hit 40 yet. :) 'Twas fun to read this, Sara. ~Twila K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy. When we turn 40, we'll stick with our traditional sister's days which includes Boggle, not cookies. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow lots of work but a good feeling when done! If you need more freezer space send some my way:) I can find room for some! ~Trish stauffer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Sorry, girl. I got 'em all in. But thanks for the generous offer!

      Delete
  4. wow!!!!!!
    I never heard of those fancy kinds!
    back in my day:)
    we had chocolate or pumpkin!!!!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those waffle ones are so cute. And, nice article in Daughters of Promise. I was going to text you but now it's 11:28pm, so I figured I'd let you read this at your leisure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought waffle iron whoopie pies were MY idea! Honestly have no idea where I came up with it or whether it was original, but I love making them that way! : ) Recipes for the Shoo Fly and whatever other recipes you wish to share would be greatly appreciated!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember that at the end of the baking spree we were very tempted to resort to huge cookies to use up the endless batter more quickly!?😂

    ReplyDelete