Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Cup of Anticipation


Participating in Communion has recently taken on new meaning for me after learning the significance of a cup in a Jewish proposal.

Imagine the perfect, starlit evening. A beautiful, young Jewish girl is sitting with her parents and listening to a young man tell them about himself and why he would make a worthy husband for her. She is smitten with love, of course. At the end, wine is poured. Everyone watches to see whether the girl will accept his proposal. There is no hesitation, though she still trembles slightly from excitement as she lifts the cup and drinks deeply. He is smiling broadly now, suppressing mounting excitement, for that drink was her way of saying, "Yes!" 

Instead of whisking her away immediately, the young man left to prepare a place for his bride but would return just as soon as his father agreed that the chamber was ready. 

And that cup? Imagine how she felt when she lifted it to her lips during those days of waiting. Imagine her smile, her quickened pulse, her anticipation. It not only reminded her of the vow she gladly made to him, but drinking from that cup reminded her that he was coming again. She smiled and tuned her ear for the ram's horn blast and the call of her name that would announce his arrival. Her wedding day was approaching. 

I feel like that girl. I have sealed my commitment to a Heavenly Bridegroom and am waiting for His return. It won't be long until I hear the sound of the trumpet and will gladly go to meet Him.

And that cup? Every time I lift the cup of Communion to my lips, I remember how He gave Himself so completely for me and how I have gladly said "YES" to being His. 
But there is more! 
 "Do this in remembrance of Me," He said. 
And 1 Corinthians 11 adds. . . "until he comes." 
And suddenly the cup is filled to the brim with the anticipation of His coming.


I am waiting for those clouds to burst open and the trumpet to announce the arrival of the Bridegroom.  In that glorious moment, His Bride, the Church around the world, will joyfully receive him and these long betrothal days will finally be over.

I lift the cup to my lips and my heart quickens its pace as I anticipate that 'grand tomorrow.' He is coming soon.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Reading this made my heart "leap with joy" -- what a wonderful day we have to look forward to. I can hardly wait! Blessings to you dear Sara!

    ReplyDelete