Saturday, December 16, 2023

Apple Fritter Day

My friend Claudia said, the only way to measure how many Christmas cutout cookies you made is to weigh your children before and after you do the work. I would suggest you do the same when making apple fritters. Maybe weigh the adults, too. Especially the adults, judging by who was hungry for lunch and who wasn't. 


Coated with a cinnamon-y glaze, my sister Laura's still-warm apple fritters have this unbeatable crusty outside and beautifully soft inside. I think the gentle crustiness is what makes them so amazing. Possibly the only thing better than warm apple fritters are warm apple fritters shared with family and paired with coffee. The combination is heavenly. So is the aroma.


But wait. Laura? You say apple fritters weren't the main reason we gathered today? Trust me, I'd come to your house just for warm apple fritters. Call me anytime. But I get it. The fritters were the bait. Or, more accurately, fritters are a sweet tradition we have come to know and love on the day we make applesauce together. 

Fueled by fritters and coffee, we each cut up an apple or two hundred. Or more. However many it takes to make 163 quarts of applesauce. 

Some jars were sweetened with 
red hots to make cinnamon applesauce. The
red hot candies are dropped in just before
closing the jar and will be stirred in
when it is served. 

I suppose Some People might call it Applesauce Day, considering we annually can a year's worth of applesauce for 2 to 4 families. But Some People probably don't have a sister who wakes up before daybreak to make apple fritters and have them warm and ready when everyone arrives. If you don't have a sister like that, I'm sorry. 

Happy recipient of Aunt Laura's fritters

No comments:

Post a Comment