Friday, February 20, 2015

Mothering with Colossians


 “Since God chose you, a mother, to be one of His holy people,
you must clothe yourself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and tireless, long-suffering patience when dealing with your children.  
(The Amplified says patience has the power to endure 
whatever comes with good temper.)
Bear with them and their faults.  
Forgive them as freely and completely as the Lord has forgiven you. 
   Most importantly of all, 
be clothed with love which is what will bind your family together in perfect harmony. 
     Let the peace which comes from Christ rule in your heart and pervade your home.  
("Blessed are the peacemakers" happens to be one of a mom's job descriptions.)
As a family, you are called to live in peace. 
     Always be a thankful mother.
    Let the words of Christ, in all their richness, 
live in your heart and make you a wise mother, and helping you to  
teach and admonish your children with all wisdom.  
Sing songs and hymns and spiritual songs with your children 
and always with thankful hearts.
     And whatever you do for your children, whether in word or in deed, 
(Correction or praise; food or stories; peacemaking or singing)
do it all in the Name of the Lord, 
as unto the Lord, 
(How gentle and loving we would be if we did it for Christ!)
and dependent upon the Lord, 
giving thanks to God while you do it.”
Colossians 3:12-17

 Paraphrased for mothers after a rotten day in which I felt like I failed as a mom and asked God to show me where I messed up and what I should have done with my day.  Early the next morning, when I opened my Bible, it fell open to a page where a marker held the spot in Colossians.  I started reading in a random column, mid-chapter, not particularly looking for answers to my mothering problem because I had read this many times before and never saw it as a manual for moms.  But this time?  
I found this beautiful manual for mothers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment