Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Dewdrops


Dew. It covers everything.  
Everything from the green spikes of my yellow Daylilies 
to the stalwart maples that guard our front yard. 
 I love the dew's impartial distribution across everything.  
It even covers things that aren't necessarily thankful for it 
(like people in sleeping bags, for example).  

Life's dewdrops of joy are like that. 
 Life is blanketed with little things that bring a lilt of gladness to any heart that takes the time to recognize them.  They are there whether I notice them or not.
I've made the choice to keep my eyes open for things that add fun, spice, and joy to life or simply things I'm thankful for.  In fact, after reading Ann Voskamp's book, 
One Thousand Gifts, I write them down--or try to anyway, though I've missed probably as many as I've written.  My tiny list is only at 1, 941 but ever growing.  
I record important things like #1527:
 My favorite discount grocery store started to carry coffee creamer.   
Pretty things in nature like #1628: The reflection of the moon on a wet, wintery road.  
Fun things: #1634:  Playing out in the snow with Tyler.  He was a zebra and I was a weasel and we tromped around making tracks. 
And truly important things like #1643:  There is eternal life.  Death is only a beginning!

In taking time to notice all these little dewdrops of joy, 
my outlook on life has been gradually changing.  
I've been discouraged much less, and thankful much more.  

That is why this little blog carries the title it does.  
While the posts won't necessarily center around the "joy-drops" themselves, finding joy in the little things God blesses me with is one of the themes of my life. This blog is an expression of that.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I had some dewdrops yesterday as I was canning tomatoes with the children. It was so delightful working with them putting away food for the winter. I said that there is nothing on earth I would rather be doing at that moment. God gives joy in little things when you ask! He is so faithful.

    ReplyDelete