Monday, September 22, 2014

The Incentive Chart


This week Tyler got a sticker each time he said, "Okay, Mommy" or "Yes, Mommy" to any kind of instruction given to him.  He was looking forward to the Grand Prize (a cheap matchbox car) and did an amazing job of remembering to respond immediately with a sugary, "Okay, Mommy" to basically anything I told him.

In fact, the little chap is brilliant enough to create opportunities that required extra "Okay, Mommy"s throughout the day.  For example, he did some hovering in my kitchen until his eyes lit on something he knew probably would be a "no".  
"Mommy, can I put that away?"  (I was baking and he was pointing to one of the ingredients that lives well above his head.)  
"No, I'll do it."  
I was barely done speaking before this dramatically slow and sweet "Okay, Mommy" was spoken. Then, in a normal voice but with extra-shiny eyes, he said, "Do you think I need a sticker?"

Hey, it wasn't quite what I had in mind, but I decided that if he is going to increase the times he says "Yes, Mommy" and thus form the habit sooner, I'm not going to begrudge the guy a sticker.  They say it takes three weeks to form habits, so I plan to stock up on charts, stickers, and prizes and am already looking forward to the end results.  Having a four-year-old who immediately and cheerfully says "Okay Mommy" to any instruction given?  I'll take it! 

Laura, if this idea works, I'll owe you big.  



No comments:

Post a Comment